Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Heart-Pounding Fiction

For a long while I haven't been able to read anything, hoping to hit my stride in writing my next book. I have stacks and stacks of partially-read books on my nightstand and bookshelf. They call to me, asking for me to pick them up, but I've had to say no. At least for a while.

Well, I picked BACK up A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS by Khaleid Hosseini, and I'm glad I did. At least, I think I am at this point. I'm not done yet, but last night my heart was actually pounding. I've never had that happen while reading...my heart rate going up, my flipping through faster and faster. I said to my husband, "How does he do this? It's whopper after whopper after whopper!"

I loved The Kite Runner. It was a masterpiece. But this book has me caring so much for Mariam, Laila, and Aziza, I find myself wondering what's happening to them as I wash my face. Is it that Hosseini has created such a realistic world? Is it that he created one of the most despicable characters I've ever read? Or is it that he's not afraid to take his readers on journeys they would never willingly go on. For instance, last night I read about the c-section. I've experienced this with anesthesia. It had never occurred to me that in some parts of the world in certain circumstances there would be NO anesthesia.

Thanks for that, Hosseini.

At this point, I'm not just a reader, but a writer, studying the masterful craft of another. Don't tell me how it ends, please, because this ride is too suspenseful.

No comments: