Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Cure for Writer's Block

I do believe there's such a thing as writer's block. For me, my imagination should soar when trying to decide what to write next, but I've found that my little life of routine, kids, sitting behind the computer, can often have a stifling effect on the "soaring."

That's where last night comes in. My husband and I joined six of our closest friends to celebrate a couple birthdays by going to a local wine tasting at J Bistro. It was such a treat. I sat directly across from our guide, Pasquale, an Italian wine consultant. And trust me, it wasn't just about the pinot grigio or chardonnay or merlot or the excellent food, but what captivated all of us and still has my husband and I talking today is Pasquale. With his Italian accent that has you pressed close to understand along with his storytelling abilities, last night was as if we'd been invited to an intimate dinner at a private home in Italy. We heard stories of his family, of wine makers, of European traditions. I must say, by the end of the evening, we were all imagining we could whisk away for a European vacation--to a slower pace.

For those of you who don't enjoy wine or partake in it, this message is for you too. The point of it is, we did something DIFFERENT last night...out of the norm for us. And today, my imagination is soaring with other cultures, other places. I highly recommend for writers to occasionally get out and try something new. You never know who you'll meet or how you may be inspired, but I'm pretty sure occasional change is good for the writer's mind and soul. It is for mine.

No comments: